Skip to main content

Becoming a Nurse: What I’m Learning on the Journey from Care Assistant to NHS Nurse

The path from working as a Care Assistant to becoming a Registered Nurse in the NHS is not just about passing exams or acquiring a professional title - it is a transformative journey of learning, growth, and deep reflection. As someone walking this road, I want to share my experiences, the lessons I am learning, and how my mindset has been shifting along the way. I hope my journey resonates with others who may be considering a similar path.

Starting as a Care Assistant: The Foundation of Compassionate Care


When I began working as a Care Assistant, I entered the healthcare field with a heart full of compassion but also with many uncertainties. My background in nursing from my home country gave me confidence in the basics of patient care, but working in the UK was a whole new environment.

The role of a care assistant gave me the opportunity to:

  • Understand the values of dignity, respect, and empathy in real-life scenarios.

  • Learn how to communicate effectively with residents who had different needs - especially those with dementia, limited mobility, or long-term conditions.

  • Witness the importance of teamwork, especially during busy shifts when every helping hand matters.

These experiences have become the foundation of my nursing journey. I began to realise that technical skills alone don’t make a great nurse - empathy, patience, and active listening are just as critical.

The Mindset Shift: From Following to Leading


One of the biggest lessons I’ve learned is that becoming a nurse requires a shift in mindset. As a care assistant, I followed instructions, assisted nurses, and provided direct care under supervision. But as I move towards becoming a registered nurse, I’m preparing to take responsibility, make clinical decisions, and lead the care process.

This transition involves:

  • Critical Thinking: Nurses are expected to assess, plan, implement, and evaluate care. This requires sharp analytical skills and the confidence to act based on evidence and training.

  • Accountability: The decisions nurses make have serious implications. Understanding the ethical and legal aspects of care delivery has helped me grow professionally and personally.

  • Holistic Perspective: Nurses are trained to look at the full picture - not just treating a condition, but understanding the social, emotional, and psychological aspects affecting a patient’s wellbeing.

Studying for the NMC Registration: A New Chapter

In my journey, passing the CBT (Computer-Based Test) for the NMC (Nursing and Midwifery Council) registration was a significant milestone. Preparing for the exam wasn’t easy, especially while juggling work and personal responsibilities. I had to dedicate time to:

  • Understanding UK-based nursing practices and guidelines (such as the NMC Code of Conduct).

  • Reviewing clinical procedures, infection control, safeguarding, and medication management.

  • Practicing mock exams and reviewing resources like the NMC CBT practice test and Royal Marsden Manual of Clinical Nursing Procedures.

The CBT helped me develop a more structured and evidence-based approach to care. I am now preparing for the OSCE (Objective Structured Clinical Examination), which tests practical skills and communication. This phase is both challenging and exciting, as it brings me one step closer to becoming a Band 5 NHS nurse.

Support Systems Matter: Learning from Mentors and Teams


Throughout this journey, I have been blessed with supportive colleagues and mentors. My managers and senior nurses at the care home where I work have been incredibly encouraging, providing feedback, sharing tips, and guiding me with kindness.

Key things I’ve learned from them include:

  • The value of mentorship in professional development.

  • How to handle stress during high-pressure situations with calmness and professionalism.

  • The importance of never being afraid to ask questions or admit when I need help.

Their support has reminded me that nursing is not a solo journey - it’s about being part of a team that shares the responsibility of delivering the best care.

Personal Growth: Resilience, Time Management, and Self-Belief


This journey is not just about academic or clinical growth; it’s also deeply personal. I’ve had to build:

  • Resilience to face setbacks and keep moving forward, even when things got overwhelming.

  • Time management skills to balance studies, work, and personal life.

  • Self-confidence to trust in my capabilities and knowledge, especially when self-doubt creeps in.

Each step forward - whether it’s passing an exam, learning a new skill, or having a meaningful interaction with a resident - has made me believe in myself more. As a result, I’m not only becoming a nurse - I’m becoming a stronger, more self-aware version of myself.

Looking Ahead: My Dream to Serve in the NHS


My ultimate goal is to become a Registered Nurse in the NHS, contributing to a system that values quality, inclusivity, and continuous improvement. The NHS represents more than just a workplace - it embodies the ideals I believe in as a healthcare professional.

As I prepare for my OSCE, I am also dreaming of the day when I receive my NMC PIN number and start working as a Band 5 Nurse. I know that the journey won’t stop there - nursing is a profession of lifelong learning, and I look forward to embracing every opportunity for growth, specialisation, and service.

Final Thoughts: Advice for Fellow Aspiring Nurses


To those walking a similar path, I want to say: Believe in yourself. Stay committed. Learn from every experience.

Here are a few pieces of advice from my own journey:

  • Use every opportunity to learn - whether during a shift, from a mentor, or while studying.

  • Stay organised with your studies and NMC registration process.

  • Be kind to yourself on difficult days. Progress may be slow at times, but consistency matters more than speed.

  • Network and share - connect with others going through the same process. You’re not alone.

References and Resources I Found Helpful

  1. NMC Official Website - https://www.nmc.org.uk

  2. The Royal Marsden Manual of Clinical Nursing Procedures - A key resource for OSCE and daily practice.

  3. CBT and OSCE Preparation Groups on Facebook - Sharing and learning with others helped me a lot.

  4. NHS Careers Page - https://www.healthcareers.nhs.uk

  5. Nursing Times & RCN Journals - For staying updated with UK nursing standards and news.

This is my story so far - and I know many chapters are yet to come. Becoming a nurse is not just a job goal, it’s a calling - one that demands commitment, humility, and a heart that’s always willing to learn. I am proud of the care assistant I was, and I am excited about the nurse I am becoming.

Popular posts from this blog

New NHS Guidelines on Patient-Centred Care: What Every Nurse Needs to Know

Breaking Down the 2024 NHS Framework for Person - Centred Practice In the ever - evolving world of healthcare, keeping up with the latest research and guidelines is not just a responsibility - it’s a professional necessity. One of the most impactful recent developments in UK nursing is the  2024 NHS Guideline on Person - Centred Care , released as part of the “ Future of Nursing ” initiative. This blog post will break down the essentials of this guideline, explain what it means for everyday practice, and highlight how it can enhance the quality of care we deliver across all care settings.

Why Every Nurse Should Keep CPR Skills Fresh: The Power to Save a Life

Cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) is one of the most critical skills a nurse can possess. In moments where seconds matter, the ability to act decisively and effectively can mean the difference between life and death. While CPR is taught in nursing training, it is not a skill to be learned once and forgotten. Regular practice and refreshers are essential to maintain confidence, competence, and the readiness to respond in high-pressure situations.

Beyond the Bedside: The Nurse’s Voice in NHS Multidisciplinary Team (MDT) Meetings

Introduction: Why Multidisciplinary Team (MDT) Meetings Matter In today’s NHS, Multidisciplinary Team (MDT) meetings stand as the cornerstone of collaborative patient care. These meetings bring together professionals from various disciplines - nurses, doctors, physiotherapists, occupational therapists, dietitians, social workers, and others to ensure that each patient receives comprehensive and person-centred care . MDT meetings play a crucial role in improving care coordination, reducing duplication, and ensuring that patients’ physical, emotional, and social needs are all considered. For nurses, these meetings offer a vital platform to amplify their voice , advocate for patients, and contribute clinical insight from the front line of care. The Nurse’s Role in MDT Meetings Nurses are often the bridge between patients, families, and the healthcare team . Their continuous contact with patients allows them to observe subtle changes in condition, mood, and response to treatment ins...

Breaking Barriers: Mastering Communication in Challenging Patient Conversations

In healthcare, the power of communication goes far beyond words. A nurse’s ability to navigate difficult conversations with empathy, clarity, and professionalism can make a profound difference in patient care and outcomes. Whether it's delivering bad news, handling aggressive behavior, or discussing sensitive topics like end-of-life care , mastering effective communication is an essential skill. This blog explores evidence-based techniques for managing difficult patient conversations with confidence, compassion, and professionalism - aligned with NHS values and guidance. Why Effective Communication Matters Difficult conversations can arise due to various reasons - a patient’s distress, fear, misunderstanding, or resistance to treatment. How we respond in these moments can either build trust or create barriers. According to the NHS Long Term Plan , prioritising compassionate communication contributes to better patient experiences, improved adherence to treatment, and reduced com...

Beyond Words: A Comprehensive Guide to Effective and Confidential Communication in Healthcare

Communication is the lifeblood of health and social care. Whether you are interacting with patients, their families or multidisciplinary teams, how we convey and receive information directly impacts the quality and safety of care. This guide explores the core principles of communication, the methods we use, the art of listening, and the strict rules of confidentiality that govern our practice, all aligned with NHS standards.

The Heart of Care: The Core Values That Guide Every NHS Nurse

Every day, thousands of nurses across the National Health Service ( NHS ) deliver compassionate care that transforms lives. Whether in bustling hospitals, care homes, or community settings, nurses are the heartbeat of the NHS; offering comfort, healing, and hope to those in need. But what truly defines an NHS nurse goes beyond clinical skill or knowledge - it is the core values that shape every decision, every interaction, and every moment of care.

From Paper Trails to Bedside Tech: How Electronic Patient Records (EPR) are Redefining the Nursing Shift

  For decades, the standard rhythm of a nursing shift was dictated by paper. Handover sheets, color-coded folders, handwritten observation charts and physical fluid balance sheets were the fabric of daily practice. However, the NHS is currently undergoing one of its most profound structural evolutions. Under the NHS England Frontline Digitisation programme , the health service is reaching near-universal Electronic Patient Record (EPR) coverage, ensuring trusts across the country are live with modern digital infrastructure.

Steaming Through the Brecon Beacons: A Couple's Journey on the Brecon Mountain Railway

There is something undeniably magical about vintage train travel. Recently, my husband and I decided to step back in time and experience the breathtaking landscapes of South Wales from the comfort of a classic steam locomotive. Our destination was the Brecon Mountain Railway, a heritage line that winds its way through the stunning Brecon Beacons National Park. It was an unforgettable experience filled with nostalgia, natural beauty and quality time together. If you are looking for a unique weekend getaway or a scenic day out, here is why this journey should be at the top of your list.

Precision & Care: How Registered Nurses Lead Safe Medication Practice in NHS Hospitals

  In NHS hospital wards , registered nurses (RNs) carry primary responsibility for administering medicines safely and accurately. This blog explains practical steps RNs take before, during and after medication rounds , how controlled drugs are managed, and the key systems that support safe practice. The aim is to offer a clear, publish‑ready overview suitable for colleagues, senior nurses and clinical readers.

Mastering the Art of IV Insertion: A Step-by-Step Guide for Aspiring Nurses

In the fast-paced world of healthcare, intravenous (IV) insertion is a critical skill that every nurse must master. Whether it's for hydration, medication, or emergency intervention, timely and accurate IV access can make all the difference in patient care.